Early Years of Advertising

The early years of advertising and the commencement of the sale, commonly known today as Black Friday…..

In February 1902 W. Williams & Son was converted into a private limited company, with an authorised capital of £250,000. As the business continued to grow W.Williams & Son subsequently made additions to the premises, which at the time was seen as exceptional to have builders or carpenters carrying out improvements, enlargements and alterations. This is a testament indeed to the strength and confidence within the haberdashery industry.

Even in the early 1900’s advertising was as important then as it is today and it is on record that in 1902 W Williams & Son took the first twenty pages of the Drapers Record to advertise various specialities. Drapers Record charged £8 per page plus the artists and the photographers charges, which were more costly than the page. 

Read more ...

The Growth of Haberdashery and Textile Houses: An Introduction into the early years.

The city of London was the main focus area for the Textile Distributing Houses responsible for the surge in haberdashery and textile products as we know them today. From the middle of the 19th century to the middle of the 20th century these houses occupied a substantial part of the city of London spanning from Basinghall Street and King Street in the east to St.Paul’s Churchyard and Aldergate Street in the west and from Chiswell Street in the north to Cannon Street in the south.

One such company responsible in the early 1800’s for the introduction of countless haberdashery items and a trend setter of textiles and trimmings and founded in 1819 by William Williams was W. Williams, originally a ladies dress trimming manufacturer based in Bethnal Green. In 1825 the business continued to grow and under the guidance of Mr Leslie Williams, the son of the founder of the company, the company moved premises to Hackney.

Read more ...